Split Green Gram Lentil Fried Fritters
(by Dipha Parpia)
Moonga ji Dar – 1 cup
Gram flour – ½ cup
Whole Wheat Flour – ½ cup
Asafoetida – pinch
Garam Masala – ½ tsp.
Ginger – ½” piece
Salt – to taste
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp.
Oil – 1 tblsp.
Oil- for frying
1. In a mixer / blender, make a puree of the Moonga ji dar.
2. In a bowl, add 1 tblsp. hot oil to gram flour and whole wheat flour and enough water to make a smooth batter of medium consistency. (Hot oil is added to the gram flour and whole wheat flour dough to make the Bhajiyas crisp). Add the pureed Moonga ji Dar and mix well till it is thoroughly blended.
3. Add finely chopped ginger, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, salt, garam masala and asafoetida. Mix thoroughly. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
4. In a kadai, heat the oil for frying on a medium flame. When hot, drop small balls of the batter (no particular shape) – one at a time to fill the kadai.
5. Fry the Bhajiyas on a medium flame till they are golden brown in colour.
6. Remove the Bhajiyas with a perforated spoon and drain off the excess oil.
Moonga ji Dar ja Bhajiya are served as a tea time savory. They are served hot with green coriander chutney.