Rice & Split Green gram lentil Porridge Fried Dumplings
(by Kamal Bhatia)
Naram Khichadi – 1 cup
Gram flour – ½ cup
Carrot – 1 no.
Mint leaves – 1 tblsp.
Coriander leaves – 1 tblsp.
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Ginger – ½” piece
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp.
Lemon juice – 1 tsp.
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tblsp.
Oil – for frying
1. In a bowl, place the Naram Khichadi. Add Grated carrot, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, coriander and mint leaves, salt, coriander seeds and lemon juice. Mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, take gram flour; add oil and enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Add the Naram Khichadi mix to this. Mix thoroughly.
3. In a deep pan, heat the oil for frying on a medium flame. When hot, drop small balls of the Naram Khichadi batter (no particular shape) – one at a time to fill the kadai.
4. Fry the Pakoras on a medium flame till they are golden brown in colour.
5. Remove the Pakoras with a perforated spoon and drain off the excess oil.
6. Serve hot.
Naram Khichadi ja Pakora make an excellent tea-time savory and are served piping hot with green coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.