Rice & Split Green gram Porridge unleavened Bread
(by Hemlata Ashok)
Naram Khichadi – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
Fenugreek – ¼ cup
Lemon juice – 1 tsp.
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp.
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Ginger – ½” piece
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tblsp.
Oil – for shallow frying
1. In a bowl, mix the Naram Khichadi, Whole wheat flour, chopped fenugreek and oil till the moisture from the Khichadi is absorbed by the flour.
2. Chop the green chillies, ginger and coriander leaves finely.
3. Add chopped green chillies, ginger, lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and salt to the Naram Khichadi flour mixture.
4. Mix well and knead to make semi-soft dough by adding very little water at a time.
5. Cover the dough with a damp cloth for ½ hour.
6. Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions. Flatten out each portion and roll into thin theplas.
7. On a medium flame, heat a tawa. When hot, place the rolled out dough on this and shallow fry it using 1 – 1½ tsp. of oil. Turn the Thepla and cook it on the other side.
8. Serve piping hot.
Naram Khichadi ja Thepla are served hot with green coriander chutney.