Rice & Split Green Gram / Whole Green Gram & Fenugreek Steamed Dumplings
(by Radha Manoj)
Ufri Khichadi / Maghamethi – 1 cup
Gram flour – ½ cup
Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
Ginger – ½” piece
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp.
Raw Mango powder – ½ tsp.
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Oil – 1 tblsp.
Salt – to taste
For the tempering
Oil – 2 tblsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Sesame seeds – ½ tsp.
Dry Red Chillies – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – a few sprigs
1. Remove the dry mango from Magha methi.
2. In a bowl, combine the Magha methi / Ufri Khichadi with the gram flour and whole wheat flour. Also add finely chopped ginger, chopped chillies, salt, turmeric powder, raw mango powder, red chilli powder and 1 tblsp. of oil. Mix well.
3. Add a little water to make a semi-soft dough. Divide into 2-3 portions and roll out each portion to make a cylindrical shape.
4. Steam these portions for 20 minutes. When done, allow it to cool and cut them into roundels.
5. In a pan, place the oil for tempering on a medium flame. When hot add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds start popping, add the cut Muthia pieces. Keep stirring lightly till all the muthias are covered with tempered spices. Serve hot.
Ufri Khichadi / Magha methi ja Muthia can be served as an evening snack. They can be eaten plain or served with green coriander chutney.