Lentil and Rice Porridge Pancakes
(by Jaya Gajria Bhatia)
Bhunni Khichadi – 2 cups
Semolina – ½ cup
Oil – 2 tblsp. ( for shallow frying)
Salt – to taste
For the topping
Tomato – 1 no.
Coriander leaves – 1 tblsp.
Green chillies – 2nos.
1. In a mixer, grind the Bhunni Khichadi to a fine paste.
2. In a bowl, combine the Bhunni Khichadi paste with semolina, salt and water to make a thick batter of pouring consistency. Keep aside for 1 hour.
3. Chop the tomato, coriander leaves and green chillies used for the topping and mix them. Keep it aside.
4. Heat a flat griddle on a medium flame and pour some oil on it.
5. When hot, pour some Bhunni Khichadi and Semolina batter with a ladle and form a circle like a pancake.
6. The Uttapa should be on the thicker side. Cook on one side and turn it to cook on the other side.
7. When turning, place some chopped tomato-coriander-chilli mix in the centre of the uttapa.
8. Flip it again and cook on the other side again. Cook till light brown in colour.
Bhunni Khichadi ja Uttapa is served hot with coconut chutney or green coriander chutney. It can be served for breakfast or as an evening snack.
The vegetables used for topping can be replaced with other ingredients of one’s own choice like onion, capsicum, olives etc.