Rice & Bhatia Flat Bread Taco Salad
(by Jaya Gajria Bhatia)
Phulko – 3 – 4 nos.
Choka (Steamed Rice) – 1 cup
Oil – for frying
Green, Yellow & Red Capsicum – 1 cup (combined)
Red Kidney Beans – 1 cup (tinned)
Corn – 1 cup (tinned)
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Vinegar – 1 tsp.
Salt – to taste
Taco seasoning – 1 tblsp.
Lettuce – 1 cup
Sour cream – 1 tblsp.
Cheese (optional) – 1 tblsp.
1. Take a Phulko and place it in a stainless steel Vatti (bowl) with the edges turning into a round mould. The Vattis acts as mould for making Taco shells.
2. Heat the oil for frying on a slow – medium flame in a deep pan. When hot, deep fry the Phulko with the Vatti. When the Phulko turns golden brown, take it out from the pan, and remove it from the Vatti. The deep fried Phulko will be in the shape of a bowl. Allow it to cool and keep aside.
3. In a bowl, combine rice with red kidney beans, corn, chopped colored capsicum, finely chopped green chillies, vinegar, taco seasoning and salt. Mix thoroughly.
4. Fill the deep fried moulded Phulko with the rice and vegetable filling.
5. Garnish with finely shredded lettuce and grated cheese and sour cream.
6. Serve immediately.
Choka nay Phulko jo Taco Salad makes for excellent snack or a light meal. It is served at room temperature.