Curd Curry Steamed Dumplings with Tempering
(by Manju Khiara)
Dahi ji Kadi – 1 cup
Gram flour – 4 tblsp.
Asafoetida – pinch
Oil – 2 tblsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Grated coconut – 1 tblsp.
Coriander leaves – 1 tblsp.
1. In a bowl, sieve the Dahi ji Kadi to use the liquid only.
2. Add gram flour and asafetida to this sieved Dahi ji Kadi. Mix well.
3. In a pan, heat the mixture on a medium flame till it starts thickening in consistency. Keep stirring continuously till the gram flour is cooked and the mixture is pasty in consistency. This should take 6 – 7 minutes.
4. Remove from the flame and spread the mixture on a flat surface as thin as possible. Spread it with a flat spoon while the paste is still warm.
5. When cool, cut into 2” wide strips. Carefully, roll each strip and repeat the process for the entire paste.
6. Place the Khandvi roll on a serving platter.
7. In a pan, heat oil on a medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds start popping, remove from the flame and pour the tempered mixture over the Khandvi rolls.
8. Garnish the Khandvi rolls with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
Dahi ji Khandvi makes a great tea time snack and is served at room temperature with green coriander chutney.