(by Shashi Bhatia)
Dar Palka – 1 cup
Gram Flour – 1 tsp.
Potato (medium size) – 1 no.
Carrot – 1 no.
Green peas – 2 tblsp.
Chillies – 2 nos.
Ginger – ½” piece
Coriander leaves – 1 tblsp.
Salt – to taste
Lemon juice – ½ tsp.
Coriander cumin powder – ½ tsp.
Oil – 2 tblsp.
1. In a pan, heat the Dar Palka subzi till the water evaporates. Keep stirring till the Dar Palka is lumpy in texture. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
2. Boil the potato; mash it and keep aside. Also boil the carrot and green peas. Keep aside.
3. In a separate pan, roast 1 tsp. of gram flour for a few minutes. Add this roasted gram flour to the cooked Dar Palka, finely chopped ginger, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, salt , coriander cumin powder and lemon juice. Stir well.
4. Add the boiled green peas and carrot. Add the mashed potato. (The potato is used as a binding agent – ensure that only enough mashed potato is added to the mixture to help in binding and forming the patty; the potato taste should not overpower the taste of the Dar Palka)
5. Mix the above mixture to form a semi – soft dough.
6. Divide the dough into 6 – 8 balls and flatten each ball to a round disc shape of 1” thickness. Cook these tikkis on both sides in a non-stick pan with minimal use of oil.
7. Cook till light brown in colour on both sides. Serve hot.
Dar Palka tikkis form an anytime snack and are served hot with green coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.