Spiced Bhatia Flat Bread
(by Pooja Pinky Bhatia)
Phulka – 5 – 6 nos.
Tomatoes – 3 nos.
Ginger – ½” piece
Oil – 2 tblsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Coriander powder – ½ tsp.
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp.
Green chillies – 2 – 3 nos.
Dry Mango powder – ½ tsp.
Salt – to taste
Water – 2 glasses
Coriander leaves (for garnish) – ½ tblsp.
1. Cut the Phulkas into medium sized pieces. Keep aside.
2. Chop the tomatoes and green chillies. Finely chop the ginger.
3. In a pan heat oil on a medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds. When it starts sputtering, add chopped tomatoes, chopped green chillies, coriander power, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
4. Cover the pan and allow the mixture to cook for a few minutes till the tomatoes are tender.
5. Add the Phulka pieces and mix gently to ensure that the Phulkas are not broken.
6. Add chopped ginger, water, dry mango powder, salt and cover the pan.
7. When the consistency becomes a little thick, remove from the flame.
8. Serve hot garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Phulkan jo Saag is a classic Bhatia left over dish and is eaten in many homes. It can be served for breakfast or can be eaten as an evening snack.