Bhatia Flat Bread Porridge
(by Kamal Bhatia)
Phulko – 2 nos.
Oil – 2 tblsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Asafoetida – pinch
Ginger – ½” piece
Salt – to taste
Coriander cumin powder – ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Mango powder – ½ tsp.
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Buttermilk – 3 cups
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp. (for garnish)
1. Cut the Phulkas into small pieces.
2. In a pan, heat oil on a medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped green chillies and asafetida. Allow it to temper.
3. When the mustard seeds start popping, add the cut pieces of Phulkas, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well till all the spices and tempered seasonings are blended well.
4. Add buttermilk and let the mixture boil till the Phulkas become soft in consistency.
5. Add the coriander-cumin powder, red chilli powder, finely chopped ginger and mango powder. Mix well.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve piping hot.
Vegetables can also be added to the Phulkay ji Khichadi. Chopped and par-boiled carrot and green peas can be added in step 4 to make the dish look colorful and healthy.
Phulkay ji Khichadi is a stand-alone light meal and can be served for lunch or dinner.
AMBRI JA VAGHARAYLA