Lentil Curry Unleavened Bread
(by Veena Bhatia)
Teedali Poath – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
Oil- 1 tblsp.
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Salt – to taste
Asafoetida – pinch
Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp.
Ghee – 3 tblsp.
1. Remove the Ambeli (dried raw mango) and Kadi patta (curry leaves) from the teedali poath.
2. In a deep bowl, place the whole wheat flour. Add turmeric powder, salt, asafetida and cumin seeds. Mix well.
3. Add the Teedali Poath, oil and enough water to make a semi-soft dough. Keep aside for 10 minutes covered with a muslin cloth.
4. Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll out each portion with a rolling pin into a disc of 6 – 7” diameter.
5. On a heated griddle, bake these rolled out Parathas, one at a time, on both the sides using ghee. Cook till they are golden brown in colour.
Poath Ja Paratha is served piping hot and makes for a good breakfast dish. It can be served with curd, green coriander chutney or pickle.