Rice & Split Green gram spiced unleavened Bread
(by Jaya Gajria Bhatia)
Ufri Khichadi – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
Curd – ½ cup
Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
Red Chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp.
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp.
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Ginger – ½” piece
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tblsp.
Oil – for shallow frying
1. In a bowl, mix the Ufri Khichadi, Whole wheat flour and oil till the moisture from the Khichadi is absorbed by the flour.
2. Chop the green chillies, ginger and coriander leaves finely.
3. Add chopped green chillies, ginger, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, chopped coriander leaves, curd and salt to the Ufri Khichadi flour mixture.
4. Mix well and knead to make semi-soft dough by adding very little water at a time.
5. Cover the dough with a damp cloth for ½ hour.
6. Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions. Flatten out each portion and roll into thin theplas.
7. On a medium flame, heat a tawa. When hot, place the rolled out dough on this and shallow fry it using 1 – 1½ tsp. of oil. Turn the Thepla and cook it on the other side.
8. Serve piping hot.
Serve hot with Curd, Masala tea, or any pickle (Khummar goes well with these Theplas).